Thursday, November 21, 2013

Make A Garment A Month: November Butterick

This is the second dress I chose to make for November's MGM challenge. It's Butterick 5923, a pattern that caught my eye because of the unusual cowl neckline with collar.

I loved the fabric that I used for this one, a polyester that was a bit heavy and falls nicely. Sewing this dress was actually quite easy. A number of steps but nothing difficult. I kind of got into the zone with this one, and enjoyed just working away on the many steps, one at a time, as they were all working out the way they were supposed to. Whew. But this meant that I forgot all about taking any "in progress" photos. I just kept sewing along...

This pattern has a stay, keeping the very drapey neck from resulting in any wardrobe malfunctions. I love it. I also love the collar but wish I had maybe put heavier interfacing in. It's okay but the right side needs pressing again to get it *just* right. Now I wish I'd done the stay in a contrast fabric, but... next time!


This one was straightforward to sew, measurements were pretty much right without much adjustment at all (just shortened one inch in the bodice), and steps were not complicated. The roll-up sleeves had tabs and buttons but I knew I would be wearing them permanently rolled so didn't bother making buttonholes, I simply sewed the button down on top of the tab when everything was done. Found the perfect buttons in my stash, too!
much better look at the fabric in this pic

I like the way it fits, although the pattern envelope stops at medium, so that is what this is all through. I'll add an inch to the skirt next go round as I find it just a touch too constricting when moving about actively. This fabric has absolutely zero give though, so perhaps with a more forgiving bit of stretch this would be fine. Of course, I added side seam pockets. They are strictly for keys or wee little things though, as you can see from my finished photo that having hands in pockets rather ruins the line of the dress! You can't quite tell from the photo, but it's hemmed to just above my knee. I think that is the perfect length, as I didn't want too much fabric to overwhelm me. The dress has an elastic waistband and a sash -- I think an obi style belt would look nice with it too.


I really like this one. Received a couple of compliments when I wore it today, which is always nice too. Though the fluorescent lighting in my office isn't exactly flattering, I wanted to get a quick snap to share the finished item!


9 comments:

  1. No wonder your received compliments, it is a beautiful dress and suits you so nicely. An Obi belt would look lovely - and the addition of the pockets is a great idea. Well done on making two lovely dresses this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to make an obi & a sash then I can call both dresses complete!

      Delete
  2. I love this dress, really looks great on you . I agree the obi belt would be pretty with it.. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Obi pattern downloaded from MimiG and is next up ;)

      Delete
  3. Hmm, too cute. Butterick is having a sale today; therefore this dress is now on my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sales are the best -- that is how I picked this up in the first place!

      Delete
  4. I love your dress. I wouldn't have looked twice at it from the pattern. Yours looks fantastic. Love the fabric too. Very nice dress. Pattern is now on my list.

    ReplyDelete

Share your comments, ideas or suggestions here -- I am always interested in hearing from readers. It's nice to have a conversation!