Friday, March 22, 2013

A Fave Made-from-scratch Dress

This time my project is not a refashion, but one I made from scratch!

This is a dress that I made a few months ago, and it has quickly become one of my favourites. It's a soft, comfy knit, and I loved the fabric when I first saw it. I spent some time trying to find a pattern that would highlight the design, and not interfere with the drapey-ness of the fabric. I think I succeeded, with a dress that reminds me of a Group of Seven forest scene, yet feels like I'm wearing my pj's to work (is it just me or is that a really common dream...?)

I decided on New Look 6936 because it claimed to be a 2 hour pattern, and had very unfussy lines.

This was a really simple pattern, unlined, with an elastic waist casing and simple rolled hems, no facings. It probably took me under 2 hours, cutting included. I adore it. And it can be styled in many ways:

Just hanging out in my sandals

Colonel Mustard in the library...
Ready for business

This is definitely one that I'm going to make again. I've already picked out a different print to try, a black shinier knit with a groovy pink, grey and red swirl that has to be carefully centred down the front when I cut it out. There are a few varieties in the neckline and sleeve design in this pattern so I'll likely try another sleeve on the next one. I'm eager to also make a lightweight, bright one for summertime.

Do you like to sew "from scratch"? If so, when and how did you catch the bug? I made a now-famous "Two Hour Dress" in home economics class in grade 9 which took me four months... but I finally caught the sewing bug when my mom taught me to properly sew at age 19 (I still have the first dress I made with her then!) How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comments, ideas or suggestions here -- I am always interested in hearing from readers. It's nice to have a conversation!